What is Physical Therapy?
Physical therapy is a service designed to aid patients in returning to an optimal level of function following injury or illness. The licensed physical therapist and physical therapist assistant uses patient education, therapeutic exercise, modalities (ice, heat, ultrasound, and electrical stimulation) and hands-on manual therapy to aid the patient in their recovery goals.
What to Expect:
- Time: Most physical therapy sessions require 45-60 minutes.
- First Visit: Allow 15-20 extra minutes prior to your first appointment time to fill out the necessary forms.
- Initial Evaluation: During the initial evaluation the therapist will introduce him/herself, review your prescription, medical history, and facts associated with your current condition. The initial evaluation is the time for the therapist to assess your problem, work with you to establish goals and establish a treatment program for you.
- Care Plan: A plan of care will identify aspects of your therapy including manual techniques, therapeutic exercise, physical modalities, home program, patient education, and frequency of visits.
- Involvement: Expect vigorous therapy sessions (at your level of safe participation) and instructions in home exercise.
- Commitment: Please expect to make a commitment to your program of physical therapy. We strive to honor your appointment time. Please notify us in advance if you can't keep your appointment. Commit to your home program and exercise as instructed to achieve the best results from therapy.
Your treatment will be individualized.
Using your doctor's diagnosis, your therapist will examine you and ask questions about your condition, your activities and routine to help determine the best therapy for you. We will work with you in setting goals and designing treatment and exercises to meet those goals. We will also assign some home exercises.
Your success will require a team effort... you and us.
During your regular visits, we will measure your progress and discuss your results with you. We will also adjust your therapy, based on your progress. Doing your home exercises and attending your scheduled visits will help you achieve a speedy recovery.
We will stay in touch with your doctor.
We will provide your doctor with a complete report of your initial evaluation, as well as regular updates on your condition. Once treatment is completed we will give your physician a report on your results. We may also ask your to complete a patient survey - before, during and after your treatment program - which will help us analyze your results.